Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The town of Aberystwyth, Wales...


The town of Aberystwyth, Wales can be described in so many ways with so many different adjectives that it would be impossible to list them all.

Aberystwyth is a little beach town with many attractions ranging from several centuries old architecture to the modern aspects of the colorful houses along the coast.  The international student group, and myself included in that group of course, went on a very cold and rainy day yet the colors of the architecture seemed to burst through the rain as if they were artificial rays of sunlight giving off warmth.  I guess one could say the smile and awe they brought upon me was in fact the warmth.
The warmth felt from the buildings and atmosphere was indeed the first reaction, the first thing I felt and the second was what I call "artist mode".

Artist mode might be something fellow art students or art lovers will recognize but just haven't put a name too.  It's best described as when you look at a building or landscape and start to think "how can I draw or recreate this in a creative way?"  Being that it was raining, it would have been impossible to sketch in person-something that will be remedied on a later visit.  So I took a few pictures and began sketching with different media.  I chose a little section of shops to start off with and used a new set of felt tipped pens thanks to the recommendation of a fellow artist, classmate, and good friend.

Once again, the Welsh landscape and atmosphere hypnotizes ones self and pushes you as an artist in a different and challenging direction.  I can't wait for the months to come!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely town. It must be so nice to book a holiday there. Do any agency accept aberystwyth cottage late availability? I would like to book for one.

    ReplyDelete