Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Studying the structure of landscapes...


I've been studying the landscape of Carmarthen in my first week and by first observation it's simply breathtaking.  Even on a dreary, rainy morning you can see for miles, most of which is made up of farm land consisting of sheep.  But amongst the landscape are houses, fences, several kinds of trees-whose names escape me-and of course grass!

Each sketch usually takes about 10 minutes to do.  They aren't super detailed by any means but are instead meant to capture the structure of the landscape.

Back at my school in America, I studied how the light seems to dance across a still life as if it was carving a path for the viewer to follow-I hope to do the same with landscape painting and/or sketching.  And what better place then here in Wales and what better time than the end of winter and the beginning of Spring coming very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment